Friday, September 5, 2014

Photos on Friday: My trip downtown to see a 'corpse flower'

This week's Photos on Friday post takes me back to the summer of 2013, July 22 to be exact. After days of my eagerly awaiting its bloom, I finally had the opportunity to see the "corpse flower" (Amorphophallus titanum) in full bloom. This was something I'd always wanted to see.

An Amorphophallus titanum (Titan Arum) plant is frequently referred to as a "corpse flower" due to the scent of decaying flesh it gives off as it opens. The bloom is only open for 24-48 hours and then it rapidly collapses.


When I arrived at the U.S. Botanic Garden, there was no stinky scent, but the flower itself was very much open and very cool to see. The conservatory had noted it currently had 14 titan arum plants, two nursery purchased and several donated seedlings. When will the next one bloom? Due to the fact the Titan Arum blooms do not happen with any regularity, it could be years or decades.

But if it does, I'll be heading downtown!


You can't see from this image, but the corpse flower has a long stem. This particular plant was said to be about 8-feet tall!


A closer view...
Related post: World Deserts exhibit at United States Botanic Garden

2 comments:

  1. I was there last year, Leigh, just before it opened so didn't get to see it in person. My son sent me pictures. Love your closeup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathleen, thanks so much for stopping by and for commenting. Did your son catch the "stink'? It's amazing what nature can do.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! Your comment will be published soon (as long as you are not spamming or blatantly placing unrelated links). I appreciate your taking the time to view my page and leave a comment. Thanks for your patience.