Monday, July 13, 2015

Review: Monastery Creamed Honey is a Real Treat

Last summer I was exploring one of the local farmers markets in Northern Virginia and came across a product called "Monastery Creamed Honey". This creamed honey was made in Virginia and contained no artificial ingredients, so I took the advice of the farmer selling it and picked up a container. I wasn't sure which one to choose (there were at least 3 flavors carried at this market), so I went with the almond-flavored.

This honey was great! I usually buy traditional honey, and hadn't eaten a creamed variety in ages. When my almond honey ran out, the farmers market was over for the season so I  figured I'd have to wait until spring to pick some up. However, I had traveled out to Winchester in December and in one of the museum gift shops was a large supply of Monastery Creamed Honey with several other different flavors! I bought four containers. I picked up another container of the almond since it was so good and decided to try some new flavors too - I bought orange, raspberry and lemon.

 The orange is very good, the raspberry was a bit strong for my taste, but still enjoyed it. The lemon I haven't opened yet, but I am looking forward to trying it once I finish the containers I've already opened.

Other flavors I haven't bought yet include natural (plain), blueberry, cinnamon and brandy. I'll definitely be trying these in the future. The monastery is only about an hour from me so I'm sure I'll be able to find it locally. However, I also learned the monastery also sells honey (and many other food products) online.

I usually mix a 1/2 to 1 spoonful in Greek yogurt for breakfast or an afternoon snack. It has a buttery consistency so also goes great on toast, with crackers or pretty much anything you might want to mix in or add as a spread. I'm still exploring ways to eat it.The farmer told me its also good in tea.

(Confession: there have been times I've simply eaten a spoonful when I had a craving for something sweet).

The honey is made by the Monks of Holy Cross Abbey in Berryville, Va. It comes in a 10 oz container and costs approximately $7. You can learn more about their products on their website or by calling 877-264-6785 (toll-free).  They also take online orders or you can buy it on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Your comment will be published soon (as long as you are not spamming or blatantly placing unrelated links). I appreciate your taking the time to view my page and leave a comment. Thanks for your patience.