Friday, July 11, 2014

Photos on Friday: Hummingbird moth at Mount Vernon

Starting this week every Friday (or most Fridays) I will post an image taken somewhere in Washington, D.C. or Northern Virginia, it might be a landmark, event, nature or other random photo. 

Mount Vernon, the home of General George and Martha Washington, has beautiful gardens with many flying critters fluttering about, however, this image was actually taken outside of the gift shop when I was leaving the property. I wasn't sure what this critter was, as I'd never seen one before, but after doing some Web searching, I believe it to be a hummingbird moth.


5 comments:

  1. What a great picture! I've heard of hummingbird moths but have never seen one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photo, the wing motion is amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Judith and Iz. I thought it was so cool as I'd never seen one and caught it as I was actually leaving. (My afternoon had been spent taking photos of other critters... haven't seen a Hummingbird Moth since either : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Kathleen and thanks for commenting/stopping by :)

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! Your comment will be published soon (as long as you are not spamming or blatantly placing unrelated links). I appreciate your taking the time to view my page and leave a comment. Thanks for your patience.