Monday, April 9, 2018

D.C. cherry blossoms have finally arrived! A view of late spring's 2018 peak

The cherry blossom peak is something I look forward to every year and it sure seemed like 2018 was taking forever. Due to this year's erratic weather patterns, the cherry blossom peak was pushed back from a mid-March forecast to the first week of April. And towards the end of last week, it finally arrived!
cherry blossoms at the Tidal Basin 2018


So, I took my annual "play hooky" day on April 5th to go see the peak. I got off the Metro around 9:30 and headed straight down to the Tidal Basin. The blossom peak wasn't the fullest I've seen (but probably better than last year) and I found myself wondering if I'd waited another day or two if the rest of the trees would have been filled out as I saw numerous yet to open buds. The peak was declared to start on April 5 and run through the following week, weather permitting. While not the best weather day, it was a gorgeous sight!  

The morning was chilly and, for the most part, overcast during the hours I was there but as always, I enjoyed my walk around the Tidal Basin to see every angle. If you have the chance, there's still time to go see them, Washington Post said in an article this morning the blossoms could stay "photo-ready" through this weekend.

Here are some shots I'd taken along my journey around the Tidal Basin:


Cherry blossom peaks Tidal Basin 2018

Cherry blossom peaks Tidal Basin 2018

Cherry blossom peaks Tidal Basin 2018
Add caption

Cherry blossom peaks Tidal Basin 2018
Add caption

Cherry blossom peaks Tidal Basin 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Your comment will be published soon (as long as you are not spamming or blatantly placing unrelated links). I appreciate your taking the time to view my page and leave a comment. Thanks for your patience.